Editing & Proofreading
There's a distinct difference between proofreading and copy editing, although these boundaries are often blurred. I'm happy to discuss your project and requirements so that we can agree on the right level of service.
What are the differences between proofreading and editing?
- a final check on previously edited text looking for errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar
- a sense check
- a check on references, citations and any index
- a check on formatting and consistency
- working on draft text
- checking flow and tone
- applying house style
- listing items that may need copyright permissions
- formatting references, citations etc.
- checking for factual inaccuracy
- checking consistency
Be it a professional document, a thesis or dissertation your CV or a work of fiction, having the correct spelling and grammar can be vital for your success. A misplaced comma can change the meaning of a clause and a typo is never going to impress anyone. At RedPen BluePen we offer editing services in three distinct categories. Scroll down the page to see the services we offer for academics, authors and businesses.
Our academic editing services cover students, researchers or lecturers writing up essays, dissertations, theses or articles. We offer a thorough read-through of the text checking for flow and sense as well as spelling, grammar and adherence to the relevant style.
Please note that no comment will be made on the content of the text.
If English is your second language then we are happy to read through your work and advise on relevant changes to take your writing to native-speaker level.
All suggestions and advice are given through ‘track changes’ in Word or ‘sticky notes’ in PDF. Please contact us to discuss your individual requirements.
We’re usually able to offer a speedy turnaround, if required, for texts under 10,000 words.
So you've written your masterpiece. Short story, novel or non-fiction work, it now needs someone to go over it with a fine-tooth comb and make sure it is in perfect health. It's impossible to edit or proofread your own work and although your best friend may mean well in offering to help, they may not have the skills to do the best job for you.
Our services for writers include:
- Proofreading - a final quality check before publication, including spelling, grammar, punctuation and a sense check
- Copy editing - a line by line study of your draft text with particular regard to spelling & grammar, sense & consistency, repitiotion, character issues, factual erors, formatting and a listing of copyright permission issues
At RedPen BluePen our services for business (small, medium or large) include website checking (for instance, broken links, spelling or factual error); proofreading and editing of internal or external business documents; copy writing for your website, projects or internal communications.
All work is undertaken to strict deadlines and in complete confidentiality. Editing comments are made through ‘track changes’ in Word or ‘sticky notes’ in PDF.
Please contact us to discuss your requirements.